+Thursday, April 06, 2006+
Shit.

Alright, anybody who knows me knows that I'm a Google Loyalist. Now, let me explain....

When I first started out on the computer, I was a Hotmail loyalist....which inadvertantly made me a MSN Loyalist. That didn't last. I ended up enjoying Yahoo quite a bit more, though I kind of boycotted Yahoo because I felt it was too comercialized and "everybody used it". (As a matter of fact, for 4 years, I would not use Google because someone had told me it was owned by Yahoo).

I, of course, had a Yahoo email account (not sure why, to be honest). But, then Adam came into my life and I started actually bothering to use YIM! (I'd already had it on my comp, I just didn't use it).

Mind you my IM program of choice had *always* been AIM. I had MSN because everyone else did and I wanted to talk to my friends. Same with Yahoo.

So anyways....once Adam came into my world, I'd started using Google more and more, and really falling in love with them. I'd long since gotten rid of my Hotmail account to get more space with a Yahoo account, but that turned out to be too limited as well, and then came GMail....

I wanted an invite desperately...and I'd heard rumours that Google had bought Blogger and were giving Blogger users Gmail invites...that's when I started using Blogger again, and I'm damned glad I did. No, I never got a Gmail invite from it, but I freaking love the customization available through Blogger and it is, IMO, the best Blogging service out there.

I was permanently in love with Google.

I have the Google Pack. I go to Google Labs on a daily basis to look for new toys. I use Google Groups. I just found out about Google Cloud and I'm playing with it.

I mean, if it's Googleish, damnit, I must have it!!!

(I know HTML, as my blog layout shows...and yet I still signed up to try out Google Pages, because it was Google!)

I have a fanatical obsession with running things in "sets". The more Google toys I have, the better I feel. It's a wierd obsession, lol...

So...what's the problem?

Everyone's been talking about Flickr. I've heard so much good about it, it's not even funny. Now, I happily use Photobucket. It's functional, it works well, etc.

But...but Flickr has cool toys to put on your webpage....and...and all the Blogger's are doing it...and...

To be honest, I can't tell you why I finally signed up a Flickr account. I just felt I *needed* to do so. So, I did. And frankly, I'm really impressed. As photo storage and sharing, I think they're definately a head above the rest. Now, for my pixel art storage & hosting, Photobucket, hands down, is my choice.

But with Flickr....I accidentally found something. A site that has a shit load of toys for Flickr users...

One of which is a Yahoo Widget.

It looked so cool....I wrestled for several days: Do I betray Google and get this newfangled program by Yahoo? Or...do I stand my ground and stay Google-True.

Inevitably, I betrayed Google. I got the Widget program. I thought I'd try it, not like it, and delete it.

But after 20 minutes, I'm already going "omfg omfg TOYSSSSSS!"

>.< It's not nearly as fantastic as my newfound Firefox extension experience....but then again, I haven't downloaded many Widget's yet.

*shudders* Who knows what will happen. I know I won't give up my Gmail account. It's simple, sweet, and has an assload of space. I know I won't give up Google Talk because it's low maintenence, uses very little space, and is what Adam and I generally use to talk to eachother without anyone hearing us when we're in my mom's place.

But what about Picasa? It's photo organizing qualities are amazing....and I can blog directly from it...

But what about my Flickr photo's? Wouldn't Picasa make that service obsolete?

But, but Flickr has cool toys! And I really, really like things that work in sets.....

Google Toy Set...

Yahoo Toy Set....

Which to choose? Use both? Pick and choose?

*sigh* The dilemma's of being a net geek.

*whimpers*

Forgive me, Google.


posted by Manda @ 5:20 PM+


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *