+Thursday, March 23, 2006+
O.O I'm a Net Snob.

I've decided that I'm a techno snob. While I don't have a whole lot of money for buying gadgets and gizmo's (though I'll be damned if I don't have a cell phone before I turn 20!), I do like the technology I have to be extremely advanced. My computer is for all intents and purposes teh fucking roxors for the money I spent and is 150% what I need. It does everything I need it to, and it does it beautifully.

Then we have the real reason I believe I'm a snob: I want the best program for whatever the hell I am doing. Period. And I will search and root around the available resources and pick and choose until I get the exact build of what I like.

For example....I did very little surfing outside of GaiaOnline, Blogger, & Gmail for a very long time. Therefore, Internet Explorer served it's purpose, and it served it well.

Of course I'd seen buttons over the past year or so talking about "Best Viewed in Firefox", "Switch to Firefox", "No More IE", etc. I just snickered at the little nerdy snobs, because while I'm a nerd.....I wasn't a snob, or so I thought.

Then I got heavier and heavier into Gaia. Can we say "addict"? Well, I ended up having a mule --- or two. And I ended up getting Firefox for it's awesome Gaia Online toolbars! So....I used Firefox almost exclusively for Gaia......

But when I got my new PC....I was reinstalling Firefox & my Gaia Toolbars, and I descovered the wonderful world of Firefox extensions. *drooooools*

Around the same time, my computer became so submerged in spyware that I couldn't even open an IE browser without 30 popups coming up.....ON A BRAND NEW, FRESHLY BUILT COMPUTER!!!!! O.O

So, reformatting here we go. Yippee.

I did it, it worked. Voila....and I decided by then that I wanted to use Firefox more and maybe change over permanently....and I noticed something....when I didn't use IE...no spyware. But any time I used IE for more than roughly 10 minutes, or visited more than a page or two, boom, the next time I ran Ad-Aware, it caught spyware.

*cough* Can we say "I finally understand what security leaks my friends have been talking about"?

So....then I got more extensions, more, more more! And I decided to surf more...and find more software....and more features.....and now I'm so submerged in my computer, I'm ready to squeel in delight. Firefox quite literally made me love the internet again. For awhile, I would only be online for a few hours a day...and it was all Gaia time. Maybe some EverQuest with Adam, but that was it. Now I actually am visiting pages I never thought to visit, I'm wanting to take a more active part in the world wide web. I'm building a website again. I'm considering publicizing my blog more, OR starting a less personal, more political blog and publicizing it.

I feel like I'm connected to the world again....

And the more connected I get, the more software I get, and the more "woot"-like I want that software to be. For example..

Social Bookmarking is a new craze. One that I actually think is a very awesome concept. But the are more social bookmarking sites than you can shake a stick at, and each one I find is a little cooler than the next. So....what am I doing? Getting several that seemed appealing, and deciding which one I like best and which one has the most toys...

Then there's my addiction to any new toy Google has busted out with....including their new Page Builder, even though it's pretty simplistic. (It's entertainment, and I have a pretty spiffy idea of what to do with it....what could be wrong with that?)

(^_^) Yaye for technogeekness. It makes me giddy.

~Manda


posted by Manda @ 5:37 AM+


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *